PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C210 crashed at Catalina today
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2015, 05:25
wanabee777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I42,

Technically, FLL runway 10R/28L does not have a published displaced threshold but does have a 600 ft EMAS bed on each end so, for all intents and purposes, I suppose you could call it a "displaced threshold". Runway 10L/28R does have a published displaced threshold as well as EMAS at both ends but is level for the full length.

By my calculations, if established on the published 3 degree glide path for runway 28L, you would cross the parapet of the wall at approximately 85 ft. (tan 3° x 1600 ft)

The new south runway at FLL has been open since Sept 2014 and I have not yet heard of any turbulence problems from pilots but that doesn't mean it hasn't occurred. I have heard some pilots comment that their flare picture is a bit different since the touchdown zone is on a 1 percent down gradient. (Some say they tend to float a little more)

Landing on Runway 26L in ATL (rare), you can plan on some turbulence if the winds are strong out of the south. This is due to the close proximity of Delta's maintenance hangars to the touchdown zone of the runway.

Thanks for the info on turbulence caused from winds over a shear drop off. Kind of like water over a dam.

Last edited by wanabee777; 1st Dec 2015 at 06:59.