PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2015, 22:04
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rot or not ?

Mr B word, anything is posable if you chuck enough money and effort at it but the cost of fitting a BRS to the Grob 115 as a retrofit would be prohibitively expensive. Apart from quoting brochures and sales stuff about posable new aircraft fits do you have any engineering data to show that a parachute system could be economicly retrofitted to the G115 ?

Mechta

With a new build I have no doubt a parachute system could be accommodated but one of the critical issues is to get the aircraft occupants to be decelerated forward with their body weight held aganst the harness, to do this the inital declaration is in a aircraft nose down attitude with line cutters firing to lower the aircraft into a more level attitude once the the aircraft has slowed.

I don't know how a sideways facing rocket could be made to do this without the chance of the occupants sliding half restrained sideways out of there seats.

Having spent considerable time over the last five years involved with G115 structural repair I can't see any easy retrofit items that would economicly do the job given the engineering problems and small production run to spread the development costs.

Edit.

The Cirrus has a restriction on the structure that prohibits installation of anything under the seats, this is because the area under the seats is part of the colapsable structure that protects the occupant from rapid declaration when the aircraft hits the ground, no such area is avalable in the Grob 115 due to the flying control pushrods and flap motor being fitted in the bottom of the fuselage below the seats.

Last edited by A and C; 1st Dec 2015 at 08:48.