PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2015, 17:31
Lonewolf_50

Received 403 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Royalistflyer
Perhaps the question that we should be asking isn't if the F35 was cancelled - but rather have we at long last reached the Duncan Sandys point? Have we reached a point where the F35 (assuming it performs as the Americans claim it eventually will) cannot survive in a S400 dominated environment? If we have, then what? It might be useful against a few terrorists with manpads, but does it protect our home against attack?
Along that line of thinking have we just built two very large expensive targets for the latest supersonic anti-ship missiles? All that I see is that intercepting these two-speed missiles is questionable at this point. Anent that last point does anyone know if the two-speed missiles can vary the point at which they increase speed?
This problem has been raised for as long as I've had an interest in military hardware: for all the money that you spend on these expensive munitions and systems, what does it do? (Back in the 60's and 70's a prime example was M-16 versus AK-47). See also the very expensive mounted knights versus Pike squares or the occasional collection of English Longbow. At some point, there is a counter to your best weapon. (Rock, paper, scissors, round and round we go).

The "carrier as floating target fir missiles" fear has been with us since the 70's. Funny old thing, Aegis and Phoenix were developed with that in mind, in part, and the carriers are still with us. (Should it be? Good question, depends on what you want your navy to do for you, and who will let you base your Air Force where ...)

I don't care who is buying the F-35, that thing's expensive as all get out, per copy, so like the Abrams Tank, the Carrier, or a knight in full plate armor, does its capability give you value for you money or are you just trying to look good with newer kit that has new features?

With the F-35, we don't know yet.

The program's late, and that alone has anyone interested in the program on edge. Like the B-2, it may arrive a generation too late for the fight that it was bought for.