PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Answer yes or no to the RAF bombing Syria this coming week.
Old 29th Nov 2015, 22:56
dagenham

Received 33 Likes on 8 Posts
I am a fence sitter on this

The yes side of me for all the reasons cited before.

The no because..

1. The region will only get some sense of stability with all the local states working to together

2. Desert storm proved the template for this and to some extent was effective at uniting international will

3. There needs to be an after action plan or at least intent. I do see the opportunity with this to right some of the wrong with Iraq and Libya by getting points 1 and 2 right. Syria, Egypt and Iraq did have a functioning management class that can turn this around with the right plan and support. Let's not go through the de bathing again.. One reason Germany turned around was recognition that some people became nazis through little choice and keeping them in post kept the country running... Iraq de bathing everything was not a smart move.

4 I don't believe any of this can work without boots on the ground as per 1,2 and 3 above and this needs a mainly Muslim force to do so, otherwise it just fuels not only Isis but the bad feeling at home as well.

Hope the above makes sense, it is past bed time and nurse has given me some port.

Just for the record I am in the uk now sitting on the south coast enjoying retirement