PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2015, 22:03
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Sandisondaughter, thank you for that amazing post. As an index to the distinguished military career of your father, each entry could be a chapter full of detail. I hasten to add that I am not suggesting any such thing from you, but it would allow of some fleshing out on the armature that you have now provided us with.

Danny has embellished his story with anecdotes and seemingly mundane details, about troopships, train journeys, meeting the locals (in the USA and India), kit issued, then handed in, and then reissued...I can assure you that all here hung onto his every word (and still do, I hasten to add).

So there is no call for anything linear or prescribed. We flit here from hither and thither. Obviously there may be some things for you alone, there is no desire to be intrusive, but the internet has at last enabled this silent generation to speak out. They have a very receptive audience I promise!

Warmtoast, a heart warming description of Tony Benn's first solo, of the ups and downs of learning to fly, and of the joy of flight itself. Whatever one's opinion of his political beliefs, he was a man of principle, successfully seeing through the passing of the Peerage Act 1963 that allowed him to renounce his inherited title of Lord Stansgate in order to seek a seat in the House of Commons.

Interestingly he was granted an Emergency Commission in the RAF as a Pilot Officer on probation:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Benn