PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish A330 incident, Kathmandu
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2015, 07:55
No Fly Zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quiet Observation; No More

Please recall that I am NOT an expert with these types of approaches. In this case I read darn near everything in the hope of learning something, but I'm left hanging, wondering what happened to the common sense and basic safety that most apply to their flying? In short, when one reaches DA and ALL safe landing requirements are not met, Why the Heck not Go Around? Unless the airplane is already running on vapors, why not? Even prior, if the known conditions were that bad, why had the trip not already diverted elsewhere? A possible exception might include equally poor conditions at a diversion field and yes, the regions choices are limited. Still, responsible crews carry additional fuel for those events, do they not? Back to the principal landing attempt: unless the airplane was known to be on fire or in some other critical state, why the heck not Go Around and give the PF another chance to reach DA with everything properly aligned and aimed, including RWY alignment? Unless there are very good reasons for not doing so, how can this be called anything other than Very Poor Flying? Did I miss some critical piece of this puzzle? I'm not pointing fingers, but I am asking. Thanks.