PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What will recreational flying be like in a few decades?
Old 29th Nov 2015, 01:11
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silvaire

I really do think there is a lot of mileage in the future regarding BRS as I do think they will replace the " Other" engine. Obviously not as a second source of energy if the one packs up but as another option if that engine quits at night, over water or low cloud or even if the pilot looses the plot.

Thus I think Cirrus have it right with their single engine jet! Something most would not consider but may consider with an efficient and reliable BRS system fitted.

But that covers baby jets and I still feel the same applies to a low cost low powered turbine in the future again with the BRS. Cirrus have proved its worth and it almost gives you a second engine option without a second engine well at least as a mental second way out!

But that still leaves ever declining airports which will be available at low cost with approved approach aids?

No one talks about non approved approaches to your landing strip or small airfield? The fact is that many pilots do use such approaches usually GPS with other confirmation aids and is looked on with disdain.

Maybe GPS with confirmation backups will be more readily acceptable in the future as pilots will have no choice in the future to get into Joe Bloogs small airfield. Maybe these approaches will be approved albeit to higher minima especially with more detailed terrain mapping as I can see only a handful of airports fully equipped in the future and none will want GA unless you can afford paying a fortune to land there.

we talk of electronic computerised aircraft with advanced avionics of the future we don't talk about how these will become reliable mission capable A to B aircraft in the future ? It won't be to the Airline populated hubs and it won't be to the fast extinct smaller airfields

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 29th Nov 2015 at 08:26.