PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why the raf can’t deliver the punch cameron wants in syria
Old 28th Nov 2015, 17:35
MSOCS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll give Sharkey (or "Starkey" in the web picture!) his dues - his consistent lack of knowledge and hysterical analyses show determination at the very least. Though I do think it's important to understand the context that fuels each stroke of his pen. In "Sharkey's World" there's so much money and resource that we've a smattering of nuclear carriers; hugely capable cat and trap aircraft, all fitted with 'wish'iles and wonder bombs; and we still have an Empire that looks lovingly upon a third of the globe. Rebuttals to this latest offering to replace my loo roll, are:

Unlike Libya, Typhoon (so named for ages now) carries Paveway 4 and a targeting pod. Tornado is old but not obsolete - the most mature and capable A-G platform UK has today. Putin "could" fire S400 at coalition pilots - assuming his pilots aren't in said coalition - but it's highly, highly unlikely. As likely as a Typhoon shooting down a Russian ac. Brimstone is awesome - US love it too and it's great for urban precision targeting (GR4 only ac currently carrying it but Typhoon get it in a few years). It's not called a Super Growler (but a girl in Alaska I once met probably should be - it is cold there I s'pose..). Hardly anyone's attacked targets at Low Level for ages Sharkey! GR4 scramble times for CAS in Afghanistan were as fast as Harrier - no such tales of (24hr+) tasking bureaucracy or is Sharkey confusing routine ASR with on-call ground alert or air alert CAS...

The rest is Sharkey's typical RAF hatred. I also don't think he realises how many people and how much money you need to put all of your Air Force's ac into a Th at a moment's notice. It isn't partisan advice, it's reality - something Sharkey lost in the FIs along with his marbles and his homemade legend badge.

Discrediting the fine men and women actually doing something for the UK's security is distasteful and betrays his kin.