PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2015, 23:56
Danny42C

MPN11 (your #7721),

Oh, I don't know. 'Talkdown' in my day used to say "check three greens for landing"at the three-mile point. I suppose that was only a check, but it served as an instruction. Generally, IIRC, all ATC messages to pilots were advisory, except that, in the case of your Area Radar, and on a GCA talkdown, your navigation instructions were mandatory, up to the point when you said "Resume own Navigation" (and cast him adrift without a paddle).

The "One-in-One" idea was old as the hills. At Primary in '41 we learned the "90 Degree Left" and "270 Degree Left" drills for a dead-stick from overhead the field.

-------------

octavian (your #7722),

The only slight issue with the procedure was that it was based on a flamed out engine which was windmilling.
Makes the hair rise on the back of my neck. In the late '40s and early '50s the asymmetric phase of training on the Meteor was carried out with one flamed-out, to "render the training more realistic". It became all too "realistic", in those years we wrote-off 900 odd Meteors and 400+ pilots, mainly as a result of this training.

Then they found that the fatal accident rate from this source, per 10,000 hours, was greater than the Derwent failure rate, and commonsense returned. Future exercises were carried out with one at flight idle.

------------

BEagle (your #7723),

And now, back to our regular programme.....
This is our regular programme (it roams widely), and this is the beauty of the Thread !

------------

Geriaviator (your #7724), Gracias tibi !

Tiny nit-pick: I am DIONYSIUS in the tongue of the Caesars.

Selfie.

------------

Smudge (your #7725),

And so say all of us !

And a very Good Night to all our readers, Danny.