PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2015, 10:32
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cats_five

As far as I know parts are not a problem, most of the parts are standard items and are available.

The radios are of a type that Marconi would have known and will have to be replaced in a few years due to the 8.33 legislation.

The airframe comes out of two tins in liquid form and those skilled in glider repair can fix just about anything ( type certificate holders now get a bit funny about scarffing main spar booms but most other things can be done) as has been demonstrated by the three Vikings that had the hangar collapse on them back in 1990.

I have to wonder why these three aircraft did not get retuned to RAF service and speculate that a still metal-centric RAF contractor failed to understand that these aircraft could be repaired economically and continue in service.

I understand that some problems have been caused by manufactures improving parts and giving the improved parts new part numbers that are direct replacements for the old part number, I am told that lack of knowledge of glider industry practice and insistence that obsolete part number items are fitted has resulted in problems over he last few years.