PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC120 Diesel
Thread: EC120 Diesel
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2015, 00:09
riff_raff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GoodGrief- The Arrius 2F turboshaft engine used on the H120 is rated 432shp for TO and 432shp for MCP. The HIPE AE 440 V8 diesel has a similar rating. As John R81 noted the shp rating is based on the MGB capabilities. This is illustrated by the vertical line shown in the center of the graph on slide 4 of the presentation I linked above.

John R81- Your point about the H120's existing MGB capability is excellent. One serious concern when retrofitting this recip diesel engine with very high firing pressure is the instantaneous torque profile at the crankshaft. If you look at the graph on slide 9 of the presentation I linked above, it shows a crank torque oscillation of +/-100% at 4X/rev. Turboshaft engines don't produce these extreme peak-to-mean torque oscillations, and a turboshaft engine MGB is not designed to accommodate them. To address this problem, a tuned torsion shaft was installed between the engine and gearbox.

That presentation had some great technical information. I think any publicly funded research project that does not involve some national security related subject matter should be made freely accessible to the public on a timely basis. I congratulate the EC and its industry partners on this program for doing a good job in this regard.