PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unable to see and correct or even react to drift.....
Old 26th Nov 2015, 22:27
GlenQuagmire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tango - I love your reason for edit.. Left myself open to attack!!

Gents, this is a useful learning forum. I'm really happy to learn and I'm very happy to share what I've learned.

There's a big difference between learning to spin and recover as an aerobatic exercise, and learning the best response to the onset of stall or a wing drop when it is inadvertent. In my opinion (nota bene) if you learn that reducing the angle of attack makes the wing fly and gives you manoeuvring margin you are more likely to survive an inadvertent flirt with the stall. Keeping the wings level doesn't matter, minimising height loss doesn't matter, but making sure that both wings are flying is vital. Having that reflex built into your skills may well save your life. What you do with the rudder is entirely secondary in that scenario. That's my opinion built around 25 years of flying.

It's a reflex that will work in a light aircraft, a glider, or an airliner. In a sim session a couple of years ago we did stall recoveries from high altitude (49,000 feet). It took three or four seconds of significant forward stick to get enough authority to roll the wings level and 15 seconds before recovery was possible. Abusing the rudder caused the aircraft to flick inverted. First demo was motion off because it is so dramatic.

Whether you fly for fun or are intending to fly for a living, learn safe habits early.