PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2015, 22:10
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O dear. What a mess. Looking at the swamp in which the Air Cadets have bogged down, I do sympathise with all the youngsters who have enjoyed the camaradie, the events, the discipline, and the adventure yomping , yachting, etc etc. ....but find it not easy to get off the ground due to unfortunate circumstances.

A few years back I was horrified when there were two midairs involving young people in Grob Tutor aircraft, due partly to an unqualified instructor flying with serious health problems, and also due to flying in crowded airspace when alternate areas were available. Though lookout may have been somewhat obstructed by the canopy framework, these same machines have been flying safely in the civilian environment for years.

Please let me offer a way out for the young people. My club, and many other civilian clubs, do offer flight training in gliders to youngsters at special rates. Some kids and their families have made the transition already. No uniforms, no marching, just flying and the achievement of knowlege and skills. Would these Air Cadet organisations be willing to contact the civilian clubs, and arrange for their youngsters to get off the ground at last? We are insured, you know.