PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cleared a STAR, how low can you descent ?
Old 15th Sep 2000, 11:34
TheDrop

Post Cleared a STAR, how low can you descent ?

Say you are cleared inbound a fix to a certain altitude. At this fix, there is a STAR, leading to your destination. You are cleared this STAR, but there are no specific instructions in the STAR plate of what altitudes and/or flight levels you may descent to.

On the tracks of the STAR, minimum altitudes/FL's are normally given, these are to my knowledge minimum altitudes for obstacle clearance.

I have talked with collegues about this, and there are two viewpoints of "the truth":

1) If there is a level or altitude on the STAR, you can descent when you want to that altitude/level.

2) Even when cleared the STAR, you cannot descent before cleared to do so, unless it is stated on the STAR that you can do so.

Which one is correct, why, and is there any references to specific regs about this anywhere ?

Also, another question, when under radar vectors, who is responsible for keeping your minimum obstacle clearance to terrain ? Will ATC always add allowances for wind over mountaineous terrain, QNH and temperature ?

1) When ATC tells you to descend on radar vectors, you are always safe to descent to the given altitude/level.

2) The commander is always responsible of keeping minimum obstacle clearance, and informing ATC if a given level is too low.

To both questions, I say 2) as answers.

I would very much like to hear whether you agree or disagree.

Thanks.