PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2015, 12:58
Cows getting bigger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RB, let me comment from my end (ATC sqn VR(T) Officer).

The ACO has done extremely well in broadening it's horizons and keeping things interesting for the cadets. One only has to look at the vast number of events, competitions and opportunities that arise. We have everything from adventure training, marching band competitions and sailing (latest trawl for cadets to join RAF ocean sailing exped). We also have pre Gliding Scholarship courses (why?), aviation training days (marshalling Land Rovers), drill courses (yes, cadets can spend a few days being shouted at on the parade square), pastoral weekends (Amport House), sports competitions, fieldcraft exercise and many, many other things. There is lots to do and many cadets remain motivated by the non-aviation related opportunities.

What we don't have is regular, easy access to flying. My sqn has 54 cadets but only three of them have ever been gliding and this is not through want of trying. I personally have faith that 22Gp and the ACO will get the whole issue resolved but feel that, if they don't, we may as well ditch the 'Air' bit of the ACO.