PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Holiday Market Growth in 2016
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2015, 06:52
ATNotts

Received 292 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by EK77WNCL
Agadir perhaps? Banjul? I think Bulgaria could do well with the lower end (only because I've heard it's a bit "dumpy" and "cheap") but there's a good few resorts. Madeira and perhaps even Porto Santo although I don't know what the tourist infrastructure is there... Azores? Then of course there's the dalmation coast!

Plenty of space within 5/6 hours of the UK to fill up with holidaymakers. My only hope would be that Greece and Cyprus don't suffer out of all of this
A forgotten destination is Romania - still a destination from central Europe, but largely ignored by Brits. The Black Sea coast there has good beaches, and resorts like Mamaia and Neptun already have the (communist era) tourism infrastructure, that I'm since I was there back in the 1990s has been improved and updated. Problem is that your average Brit wants "Britain abroad" which you won't get, at a stroke, in these less popular destinations.

The Azores, you mentioned, are fantastic, but totally wrong for the bucket and spade brigade. The climate is like Wales, damp and changeable, though warmer (standing by for incoming from Welsh posters!!!) especially in winter. Although we talk about the Azores high pressure area it doesn't seem to do that much for the weather down there. If don't want to laze on the beach all day, then for an active holiday with great scenery and landscapes the archipelago is hard to beat.

It's a question really of whether people, especially at the lower end, are that adventurous.