PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2015, 23:03
Danny42C

Days of Yore.

Geriaviator,

A fine figure of a man, your Dad. He and I would be much the same age. Those button-up collars must have been awfully scratchy in summer !

(you speaking the words of Jack Stafford [RIP] ):

Then smiling at me the squadron leader said “You'll be OK, son”. I silently lifted my eyes to heaven and thanked the Lord.
So "with one bound, Jack was free !"

Proving once again that: "A Lie is an abomination unto the Lord, but a help in a time of trouble". Well do I remember those early days when our friends were being chopped right, left and centre and we all lived with that Sword of Damocles scratching our scalps. (My Primary Course in US lost 40% - he would go for flying training in NZ, and do we know what was his chop rate there ?)

----------

Walter,

It was sparsely furnished of course
You had furniture (what was the world coming to ? - we had bare boards in the Annexe, and get on with it !)

Yes, those little town Tea Rooms in Newquay were our lifelines, but tea would be 2d and (supposed) coffee 3d, and a bun likewise, so with two bob a day (less stoppages) you had to be careful. And the walk there and back (sorry, march !) was fraught with danger, for there would be prowling W.O.s and discip NCOs to pull you up for something (under Secn. 40, they could have you for just breathing !)

Can't remember the PTI's name, but he did a good job - I was never so fit (at the end) than ever before or since in my life. Do you remember those 100 stone steps from cliff top to beach ? At the start, we slowly puffed up, blowing like grampuses (grampi ?) and red in the face - but at the end we doubled-up like mountain goats, and could have yodelled while doing so had it been permitted.

What I can't remember is how many were there of us on the ITW Course - any idea ?

Danny.

PS:
Hasenfus was commissioned
How on earth ? With his expressed German sympathies, and a name (literally "Harefoot", but with the connotation "coward" ?)

----------

John,

Not so much of the "old codgers", young sir, if you please ! When past the "four score years and ten", we are released from the conventions and can sip our Horlicks at any hour of the day or night we choose (subject always to the veto of Mrs D, I hasten to say !)

The Top o' the Mornin' to ye all,

Danny.

EDIT:

Chugalug (crept in under the wire),

As ever ready with a kind word of encouragement, thank you, Sir.

Yes, there is life in old dogs yet, and occasionally it comes to the surface !

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 25th Nov 2015 at 23:11. Reason: Addn.