PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Revalidation MEP-IR in UK, or revalidation SEP-IR then MEP-IR,advice
Old 25th Nov 2015, 11:51
Edgington

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi EchoSierra,

I had to take the Dutch CAA to court, to get my SE-IR back. And what I said in my previous post is in line with the courts ruling.

To clarify it depends on when you got your license and the skills test. My problems existed because my flight school did all the IR on a MEP. I had a JAR-FCL license and JAR-FCL states:
the privileges of a holder of a multi-engine IR(A) are to pilot multi-engine and single-engine aeroplanes under IFR with a minimum decision height of 200 feet (60 m).
So if you had a JAA license with grandfather rights you got on your EASA license a SE-IR as well as your ME-IR.

New EASA rules state the following:
For a multi-engine IR(A), the skill test shall be taken in a multi-engine aeroplane.
For a single-engine IR, the test shall be taken in a single-engine aeroplane. A multiengine centreline thrust aeroplane shall be considered a single-engine aeroplane
for the purposes of this paragraph.
So the court said that they are now 2 different ratings as it were. No where in the Part-FCL does it state that a ME-IR is also valid as a SE-IR.

So for the people who are getting their ratings under EASA it makes a difference if you only use a ME aircraft to get your IR. It's no longer also valid for SE aircraft.

Most people first do a IR skills test on a SE then do their ME & IR. For them it's not a problem.

Then for revalidation:
Cross-credit shall be given in accordance with Appendix 8 to Part-FCL.
Which means doing 3 approaches on your check. Then the SE-IR can be revalidated at the same time.