PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What will recreational flying be like in a few decades?
Old 25th Nov 2015, 02:42
tecman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not all doom and gloom

I was struck by how much the last three posts outline parts of the situation as I've come to see it. Here in Australia at least, access to the high-end GA market and the old faithful lead sleds is getting progressively harder and harder, for various reasons. All the pressure is to the newer, lighter, more efficient aircraft and the associated recreational regulatory regime, imperfect though it is. For those of us who enjoy flying anything, it's a change rather than a tragedy. These aircraft are often very capable, can operate from less developed airfields if required, and can be equipped with whatever level of instrumentation you choose: you don't have have the fancy panels and technology if you choose not too.

While I love flying the heavier-iron GA machines, I still get the same buzz every time I rotate my P2002JF off a grass or gravel strip, I love the great view, and I think that 100 kt on 15 lph of premium mogas is a pretty respectable - and financially sustainable - performance. And I enjoy flying an aircraft with a bit of character that rewards a good touch - much like my old PA24 did. You'll find plenty of other converts and new-comers who say similar things about other aircraft.

With all that said, I know that there are many motivations for flying and/or owning an aircraft. I'm genuinely saddened by the departure from the GA scene of those friends who don't see a future at the light end of the market. At the same time, I observe from the local clubs that the recreational trend is making flying just a little bit more accessible to a younger or less well-heeled group. Time will tell whether there is any sort of balancing effect as the next 50 years rolls on.

Last edited by tecman; 25th Nov 2015 at 09:23. Reason: typo