PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alouette
Thread: Alouette
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2003, 00:48
Lama Bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3top De Nada! One more word of caution. The Alouette is VERY easy to get into settling with power (RVS). For me the usual scenario is lightly loaded, a too fast, too steep approach, and a slight tailwind. I come in like a big assed bird, pull some power to slow down and there it is! The large amount of reserve power is very condusive to luring me into a sloppy approach. The recovery is simple but it must be immediate. A quick move of the cyclic to the two o'clock position has always done it for me. Watch out for this, it will put some skid marks in your shorts!

If the machine is not to be used commercially the available mechanics should be able to keep it in good shape using the manuals. The owner really should consider bringing in an instructor. The money spent will be saved many times over just in trouble shooting the start system!!

As far as the discussion of the new French girls compared to old French girls, if the job is lots of presision long line and short flights I prefer the old girls. They are MUCH easier to long line out of. I consider the Astar to be the hardest helicopter for me, even more so than the Bell mediums. I can't seem to use the vertigo window and even with the collective extension it's a long way out the door.

However if the speed and range of the Astar can be utilized it is my hands down favorite. The old girls are always looking for fuel. 60 gallons an hour at low elivations is a lot of fuel. I consider the AS350B-2 to be a Lama in a cashmere coat. I haven't had the opportunity to fly a B-3 yet.