PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2015, 12:02
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Primary Prank

Unable to find image origin

Regarding the Primary Glider, I believe all who have flown it would be well aware of its "flying brick" reputation. I heard a story, many moons ago of a challenge put out at the RAFGSA Centre, Bicester where they had a Primary Glider that was flyable. The challenge ? It was a very cold December day, sub zero at ground level and the Primary was dragged out. Fly, on tow behind a Chipmunk out and around Bicester town, returning to the overhead for release and landing, naked Not many were up for it, but the target of the jape bit, and was allocated launch two. The first went exactly as planned the glider landing with a very cold pilot. Our man is next, and duly abandons clothing, straps on (not in) and off they go. The tug pilot released the tow from his end at the far side of Bicester town, with no chance of a return to the airfield, but with some good fields in range. The poor bloke, his land away attracted several car loads of motorists, believing he was a crashed aircraft, imagine his embarrasment. Lucky for him the recovery team with his clothes turned up fairly quickly.

I'm not 100% sure of this stories veracity, but I believe that if it happened, the Primary would certainly perform as recounted.

Smudge

Last edited by smujsmith; 24th Nov 2015 at 16:51.