PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sad incident at Palamar today
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2015, 04:37
Gordy

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts
I do not know the level of experience of the posters on here, but many of you are saying he should have landed, maybe got a bigger dolly, not painted it gray etc.....

The fact is, the dolly is a perfect size for an Astar, it is painted Gray, but there are landing marks in red---see the "T" in the pic below. It basically shows you where to line up the skids and the forward cross tube which can be CLEARLY seen from the pilot seat. Any professional pilot with the appropriate training should be able to land on this dolly. If you cannot, then do not apply for a job with me.

The problem is that in this industry, we all "Monday morning quarterback" from our experience level. I would certainly NOT expect a private pilot with less than 1,500 hours to have the skill set to land on this dolly---if you do, then great, but I would not EXPECT or require you to do it.

From the video previously posted, along with the audio, it would appear that this particular landing exceeded the skill set of the pilot. The equipment was NOT to blame.