PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What will recreational flying be like in a few decades?
Old 24th Nov 2015, 01:24
Silvaire1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If super-capacitor development continues along the lines of current development trends, they will be able to provide the continued electric power surge needed to climb and reach cruise speed.
High power density capacitors are an active albeit problematic area of effort in support of current government funded research, at much higher energy levels than required for vehicles. For examplei

http://www.nrl.navy.mil/content_imag...iew/12_FA2.pdf

(No, I am not suggesting that this particular small program is representative of what's being done for capacitors, but it's in the same technology area)

"It’s tough to make predictions, especially about the future” – Yogi Berra
That's funny. I think you can just as easily predict that GA will do a 'Harley-Davidson' and attempt to appear intransigent for marketing reasons, as you can predict anything else. The worldwide market will decide and real world markets (the ones with money) are not always technology driven. A better question to me would be to ask why do some factions of light aircraft culture take their activities so seriously, and see GA from such a tedious and overblown high pressure perspective? I think "recreational GA" is fun with spare money plus a bit of personal challenge, not preparation for WW III.

Last edited by Silvaire1; 24th Nov 2015 at 04:24.