PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2015, 00:05
Danny42C

"Bloomin' marvellous".

(From) Geriaviator,

....For younger UK readers, back in 1971 Walter's ten shillings was transformed into 50 pence....
Which inflation in the intervening years had reduced to a purchasing value of 2/2 ('38) or 11 pence ('71). So I was a plutocrat and didn't know it ! Ah, well.

Jack meets the Tiger Moth

....In my imagination these pretty little biplanes became Sopwith Camels or SE5s from World War I, resting from or going in and out to battle. Perhaps the Red Baron awaited them with Spandaus loaded and his Triplane trembling with eagerness....
As I've mentioned awhile ago, I had exactly that same fantasy as I floated in an open-cockpit Stearman among the clouds over the Everglades. Perhaps all Primary/EFTS boys shared versions of this pipedream ?

....all the trainees called “Good luck, Staff”....
And so do we (although we know [or hope we know] the result !)

(On the PM front to Geriaviator: At last ! Thank you ! D.)

Smudge to Walter (#7674) and Geriaviator:

....first job as a farmhand as I awaited entry to the RAF in 1968. I too was paid 10 bob a week, I was required to be calling the cows in around 0500 for milking and finishing around 1700 after the afternoon milking, every second weekend I got Saturday afternoon and the Sunday off, I was 15 years old....
But it was a good life !

....Take your posting rate from Danny would be my advice, not a delay long enough to do more than tease....
As I in turn had modelled myself on the giants on whose shoulders I stood: Cliff, Reg, Padhist * et al. About 1,000 - 1,500 words per post, wait 2-3 days to let another Poster to come in, then give us another slice of the story. You can reckon on keeping on for 3 years at that rate !

Note * : Can anyone who has read it forget: "The night London Airport was mine ?" (he got an AFC for it, and quite right too).

Cheers to you all, Danny.