PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2015, 18:14
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Walter603,

Two great posts there Sir, and already bringing back some memories of my own. The glider you describe flying sounds very like the Primary glider I once had the pleasure to force around a circuit of an airfield, towed by a Land Rover. As you describe, driving using your ears was, and probably still is essential for good glider pilots. Second memory triggered was my own first job as a farmhand as I awaited entry to the RAF in 1968. I too was paid 10 bob a week, I was required to be calling the cows in around 0500 for milking and finishing around 1700 after the afternoon milking, every second weekend I got Saturday afternoon and the Sunday off, I was 15 years old. Finally, your entry to Halton, if you can remember what you were paid back then it would be interesting. I arrived at Halton as a "Trenchard brat" in January 1969, we were paid 28/- a week, and I though I was in heaven, 0800-1700 with a parade and drill on Saturday morning.

Take your posting rate from Danny would be my advice, not a delay long enough to do more than tease, great start as I said. I'm looking forward to this

In the run up to the Chritmas season, it looks like we are to be treated to even more history. Keep it going Geriaviator, bloomin marvellous.

Smudge