PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the point of University Air Squadrons?
Old 23rd Nov 2015, 09:07
chopper2004

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts
UAS as USAF ROTC

You talk about joint cadet forces, when I was in the UOTC, I had the pleasure of exchanging with the local UAS for a days flying with the good old Bulldog.

A year or so later on, when after MTQ2, had a carrot dangled in front of me by my wing CO to be JUO of the Wing, he asked me what changes I would like to see and the future of the UOTC. Likewise the same question popped up day the next day as I bumped into one of our newly commissioned 2lt who was in the other wing happened to be on my train to uni. He asked me my thoughts on the future of the unit so my response I would consider disbanding all the wings and everyone acts as whole. I was told the CO is wing friendly. In my head I was also thinking about more exercising with the UAS and URNU. TBH the only times we came across the others were either a mass lecture / brief by some members of senior folk or the Annual Mess Dinner where the OC of the UAS turned but not any of his crew.

Bearing in mind this was coming up to the late noughties and al three services was about to come into play with each other such as JHC and stuff.

I've said this before but was rebuked, so IMHO, the UAS could be of even more value if it was run like the ROTC programs in the states (most officers get their commissions through their local unis and colleges with ROTC programs )so those who have commitment and pass selection to the UAS (hell they have to go through AOCS anyway for selection) could follow a structured program resulting in being commissioned as P/O albeit in the reserves and transfer that across to full time commissions.

Any thoughts,

cheers