PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cityjet direct entry Captain
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2015, 19:46
Wash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Much as I love the RJ, it barely counts as a jet, especially the way that they'd want you to fly it. You'll frequently find yourself being given vectors out of the way of faster traffic, defeating the point of the fuel policy, but anyway, that's a different story.

It will get up to Fl350 though....on a good day, at ISA-10 and no-one in the back

Meh, the aircraft's fine; it's very, very easy to fly - centerline thrust, 4 engines, bulletproof systems, an undercarriage that flatters landings and can take a real beating.

The company, on the other hand, has been on a path for some years to discourage as many people from staying as possible. To my simple mind, is seems strange that they've canceled flights because they don't have crew, but other than attempt to hire direct entry guys, they've accepted the losses and done nothing to make it a place that anyone would actually want to stay.

In terms of the recent 'management change', the new Chairman appears to have a plan to turn the commercial fortunes of the company around. However, as far as crew are concerned, he's pretty much the only new face; the rest of management, policies and general approach has seen no change.

Oh, I should add that the pay freeze that was in place 2009-2015 was quite unique amongst airlines; not only did all the salaries stay the same (and allowances drop by 15%), but everyone stayed on the same grade they were on. In other words everyone's actual take home pay remained exactly the same for 6-7 years (depending on when you last had a pay rise in 2008). There was a pay rise of 2% on basic in mid 2015. There have apparently been pay talks going on for a while - at least 5 years - but, well: 2% over 6 years......

I'm not trying to discourage you from joining (the poor guys still there need all the help they can get); just be aware that it is what it is.

Last edited by Wash; 22nd Nov 2015 at 20:32. Reason: more info, clarity