PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leaping Passengers
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2015, 16:53
ericferret

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
While there may have not been any 332 landing gear collapses there have been two nose gear collapses on the 365's which use a similar system.

Firstly the hydraulic pressure to the nose gear disipates and the gear is locked down by a claw system built into the retraction/extension actuator. This is the same for either normal or emergency extension.

My first hand experience of a failure of this system is as follows.
Post maintenance we were carrying out retraction checks using both normal and emergency systems. After several retractions we lost the nose down green. Initially we were looking for an indication problem as the gear was clearly down and could be heard going into lock.

After numerous further retractions we were no nearer an answer. We put the gear down again and by chance after about 10 seconds I thought I saw the nosegear move.
A further retract extend cycle was carried out and it was confirmed that after 10 seconds the nosegear began to move and was not physically locked.

The internal claw mechanism had failed and once the pressure disipated the gear was free to move.

If the crew had a nose gear unsafe indication then I believe what they did was correct.
Out of interest we had gags which could be clamped around the actuator (in the hover!!) to prevent a collapse.

Last edited by ericferret; 22nd Nov 2015 at 17:14.