PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hullavington airfield
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2015, 15:17
Landlocked1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hearing the news about Hullavington brings back wonderful memories of a bank holiday summer weekend spent camping on the base in 1970.My Dad was a member of the Chichester model aeroplane club (CADMAC) and took our family down there to fly control-line a/c and see the flying radio controlled models of other club members. My Brother and I used to fly our little rubber band planes in the big hangars on the base, good fun coz they flew better and didn't blow around. I remember watching the film ' Flight of the Pheonix ' in the station cinema.
We heard a roar of engines from the far side of the airfield one morning and legged it over to find a Lancaster ( NX611 now at East Kirkby ) doing engine runs. My Bro took a photo of me proudly standing one hand on the bomb doors and we were lucky enough to re-create the snap 40 years later in the hangar at East Kirkby in 2010 thanks to a chat with a lovely chap called Fred who let us get thru the barriers and close to his aircraft. Fred sadly passed away in 2013 but we were so impressed with his love of their Lancaster and his genuine interest in our old photo's which he asked to keep copies of. RIP Fred and I hope she flies soon in you and your Brothers honour.