PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackjack bombers in the Med
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2015, 10:48
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cokecan
there's a tangent: if instead of carrying 21x 1000lb bombs BB had been carrying say 4x 2000lb LGB's what proportion of the IFR's BB used would they not have required? enough to allow two Vulcans to get down there?
A viable alternative to the 21x1000 ML would have been 7x1000 but to get a guaranteed hit would have required a low level attack and laydown would not have achieved any significant cratering. Alternatively in a AAA environment a pop to 8,000 was required but right in to SAM MEZ.

To go the LGB route would have enabled a high level delivery (less fuel than the ML descent and climb) but would have needed VMC all the way down? And a POD. Not sure the size for 4 GBU 2000 but probably 1000lb better for fitting the carriers. It might have been possible to fit A and E tanks with 11,000lb fuel and accommodate the added length of the Paveway. It might have been necessary to hang them from the lower station ie just 3 with 4 dumb bombs above.

Alternatively fit two drum tanks 16.000lbs and hang 3x2000 and a pod on the skybolt pylons.