PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 22nd Nov 2015, 07:38
condor17

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R4H ,
Thank you for your C130 handling descriptions , a good read . Having only see Albert flying from outside ; it’s good to be able to compare the handling qualities with a UK built 23 tonne T/prop . Much lighter I know , but similarities there are .
Your x-wind explanations hit a chord . Did the relatively narrow u/c track make much difference ? We had a wide track and a low wing , and in the Hebs and Northern Isles preferred a kick off drift method , keeping if possible the into wind wing down . But ‘horses for courses’ .

‘‘’Doesn't say much for me but in Falklands my Co-pilot was called Bambi - as he was the best friend of Thumper!!!! We all have bad spells - but 4 months of it!!!!!! Didn't help when crew were already giggling on the approach) ‘’’ .

‘Fraid I strongly disagree with your self assessment sir . ‘’ Thumper ‘’ was hard earned and should be proudly worn . Not to mention excellent leadership and superb CRM . ‘’Crew giggling on the app’’. …… good crew comms , shallow rank gradient , and an happy team , follow you anywhere …. Not to mention stressing you up nicely !
How many times with Cavok , 10kts down the strip , de-stressed …. Thump .
Howling x-wind , rain , low cloud , min fuel , dark night , wipers slapping time , alternate out , stressed … Perfection !

Formation tales appreciated . Were you a Green Barrow ? Any tale welcomed , having seen them at ‘Music in the dark‘ at Middle Wallop , quite a sight and sound from the ground . 4 Ks in close formation pirouetting to music , against a summer sunset with dramatic cloudscape , at a venue with little ambient light pollution . Thank you .

Rgds condor .

P.S. forgot to ask was the Ks normal G limit only 2.5 ?