PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2015, 19:32
madgav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this often-stated notion of '7m Belfast passengers pa so we should have xy or z international services' overlooks some important unique characteristics of the NI market.
I'm sorry if my post came across like that, it certainly wasn't my intention. There was no implication of entitlement to any particular airline or route. It is however fair to say "we have 7m pa which is a substantial market and there are likely to be other unserved routes that would be viable, if not immediately then sometime in the future".
And I would have thought that a mid east route would be one of BFS' primary targets for the future....

First, most of the services that make up the 7m are flights to GB - someone will be able to provide the actual figure but this is the bread and butter business of airports in NI.
Secondly, since NI has obvious political and cultural links to GB but is physically detached, the number is distorted because the same kind of journeys if they were in GB would be made by train or car.
These are really the same point are they not? Anyway t'was always so as long as I can remember. But how many of those domestic pax are connecting on to international flights to destinations not served directly from Belfast? Or even to destinations served from Belfast but where there is a cheaper option with a connection. I've done both. Many times.

allows it to punch above its weight already.
First time I've ever heard NI airports described as punching above their weight! Our 7m pa is less than 20% of the passenger total for all airports on the island of Ireland, which is actually lagging somewhat behind our nearly 30% of the population......

Fourth, Dublin and the new improved motorway that gets you there from Belfast in less time than it takes to drive from Central London to Gatwick.
I don't fancy either of those road journeys if there is any alternative
Anyway, hardly unique. There must be plenty of cities with perfectly adequate, if geographically lengthy, road links to airports serving another city.

The fact that Belfast has only just been able to attract KLM Cityhopper on a modest frequency should serve as a reality check.
But we've had a successful AMS link for well over 10 years, albeit with EZY. And if I'm reading the figures correctly, the EZY AMS loads haven't been significantly affected by the (apparently also successful, so far) arrival of KL....

the distance from DOH-BFS is approx 3541 miles (yes I know it's not 100% accurate due to winds, detours etc) and the range of an A320 is around 3600 miles
Sorry, but with those figures that is just not doable. Not that I would personally have any objection to a narrowbody on the route....

Yes it would be nice if it happened, but my guess is that if QR want to start flights to Ireland then it is more likely that they would start with DUB (hope I'm wrong of course!). If they (ME3) all end up at DUB then perhaps at some time in the future one of them will look at also serving BFS.

Last edited by madgav; 21st Nov 2015 at 23:17.