PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Before the decision making.....
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2015, 11:04
Pull what

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Never take a plane somewhere your mind has not been five minutes earlier.". Wise, but certainly not new.
This is an excellent way of starting a briefing on Sitaution Awareness but its not complete because its only a small part of Aviation Decison Making. Five minute ahead planning can only take place in the air so a better modern day practical approach may be to change that to 5 hours!

Pre flight planning bad habits start by students just turning up for lessons. My students know that if they cant tell me about the days weather and the notams they wont be flying. After Exercise 4 I want confirmation that they have checked on airfield notams and at least checked the BBC weather forecast and that is built upon on each subsequent lesson so by solo nav time they are briefing me on whether the weather is good enough to fly not the other way round as happens at so many schools.

For example the classic killer base to final turn usually starts with a strong crosswind at altitude onto the runway.
I would say it usually starts with lack of planning on the ground. If the wind is that strong on base there is also a good chance its going to be a crosswind on the runway and thats a consideration you should have made before flight. The best commanders are those who can identify potential problems on the ground rather than fly into them in the air.

Last edited by Pull what; 21st Nov 2015 at 11:21.