PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Power/RPM on CSP to fly like a boy racer
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2015, 04:08
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power/RPM on CSP to fly like a boy racer

I was out flying today and wondered what would be the best power and rpm settings to fly with complete disregard to how much fuel I was burning, i.e. flat out at low level at about 1000 AMSL, like a teenager in a suped up Corsa?

The power chart for the plane lists in graphic detail the plethora of pwr/rpm settings for best economy for 55%,65% and 75% power at different altitudes and RPM settings, but how do I achieve flat-out balls to the wall performance over say a 5 minute period (without shagging the engine of course) if indeed that is possible.

Are the following assumptions correct?

1. As I plan on using more than 75% power (its a Lycoming 360) the factory recommends not leaning above this power level, so the mixture is going to stay full rich.

2. I want max power so the throttle is going to be firewalled, say about 29 inches + on a standard day at that level.

3.I want the prop being as efficient as it can be at that power setting so I assume with its rated red line of 2700 RPM I'll want it lower than that so its grabbing more air in level flight, perhaps about 2400 RPM (a higher gear if you will).

This configuration assuming its the best for achieving top speed would leave me in breach of the old unwritten law of never being over square on your your MAP v. RPM although I have also heard this is an old wives tale and you can exceed it within reason (I assume fixed pitch aircraft exceed the MAP v RPM over-square rule all the time on take off)

So am I looking in the wrong end of the telescope or over-thinking this one and the answer is simply red, black and blue knobs firewalled or does anyone have any opposing views or tips on how I might best satisfy my "boy racer" urges?