PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Metrojet crash Eygpt
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2015, 17:55
Etud_lAvia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@rog747:

Thanks for posting the list!

The China Air Flight 611 crash is a genuine precedent for the Metrojet crash -- if the disaster in the Sinai proves to have resulted from a spontaneous structural failure, and not a bomb. I had not remembered, that the China Air flight made no distress call.

Indeed, Gol Flight 1907 did suffer a major structural failure at altitude ... after colliding with another jet. I wasn't thinking about that case, and should have specified without external cause. There seems to be no evidence that a collision contributed to the demise of the Metrojet flight.

Of course, we have other examples of structural failure at altitude downing airliners too abruptly for a distress call, where the cause of the failure was external to the aircraft. Even Kremlin fantasists seem to concede that MH17 was destroyed by a missile.

Considering the other accidents in the list:

Adam Air Flight 574, Lauda Air Flight 004, and Air Asia Flight 8501 all suffered major structural failures, but none at high altitude. Like Gol Flight 1907, they all appear to have been broken apart by aerodynamic forces during uncontrolled descent, following a gross upset -- none of them involved structural breakage above FL300.

Egypt Air Flight 990, famously attributed to murder by a flight crew member, had no structural failure at altitude.

I didn't check all of the other no-distress-call crashes listed, but they seem to be accidents that occurred in approach to landing or soon after takeoff. In conditions of high workload and close proximity to the ground, the absence of radio calls seems natural and expected.