PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the point of University Air Squadrons?
Old 20th Nov 2015, 02:06
ABL262

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
handleturning, I also support BEagle's point of view that whoever advised your son not to apply deserves a kick in the pants. Keep in mind that UAS representatives at Freshers' Fairs are often UAS students who may be biased and not qualified staff. I would put a call into the CO or the Adjutant to escalate his candidacy so that he might at least get to the interview stage.

Sadly, I also agree with the other commentators that the UASs are now a shadow of their former selves at least in terms of flying, but then again I'm biased! ULAS 1984-86 were great times (and, yes, I was studying engineering at Impossible College). In my day it was more like grab as much flying as you can with a (great) social life thrown in. Almost every Wednesday and week-end at RAF Abingdon with a two week Summer camp (St Mawgan and Leeming) and a one week Easter camp each year, plus two week attachments to operational squadrons at Wittering and Chivenor. 105 hours flying in 30 months and a fantastic shop window on life in the RAF of the day.

joining ULAS was the perfect antidote to the stress and pressures of studying an engineering degree in a hot-house university environment and did me the world of good. I wish your son every success in his future endeavours and with whatever career path he chooses.

ABL262