PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vuichard technique for settling with power?
Old 19th Nov 2015, 22:41
Hughes500

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts
I have spent a long time trying to work this out
1. How can you get out of VR with a loss of 20 to 30 ft ???? I can assure you having been in Fully developed VR where the ac was pitched up by about 75 degrees falling on its tail with IVSI off the clock ( goes to 3000 ft a minute ). My only recovery after trying cyclic in every direction ( result sweet FA ) Lever fully down ( result FA ) only thing left was full right pedal that then put ac into about 80 degrees nose down regained speed, nearly pulled head of the 300 pulling out of dive with about 200 ft to spare. Please someone tell me how full right cyclic and virtual max power with loads of left pedal do anything when you have 3000 ft plus rate of descent with ac pitched about 75 degrees nose up ??? Let alone come out of it with a loss of 20 to 30 ft. How powerful is your f..ing rotor system that is going to stop a high ROD in just 20 to 30 ft ?????
2. I can perhaps understand getting into incipient vortex ring this technique will work but having tried it no real difference to putting nose forward.
3. It appears to me that a lot on this forum don't really understand the difference between Incipient vortex ring, fully developed vortex ring or come to that running out of power. This goes for the books themselves. Last week put a Hu 300 into " VR" 20 inches of MP 10 kts downwind 700 ft min rate of descent ( according to most books you get VR with 300 to 500 ft min ROD ) pulled lever to max power trying to get into VR and guess what the ac climbed back up, certainly not what the student was expecting !
I am some what concerned that some people who appear to be highly experienced don't have a clue here, what does this say to the younger inexperienced pilot.
I will eat my hat if I am wrong but want to see some actually factual information rather than what appears to be hearsay