PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOURNEMOUTH - 3
Thread: BOURNEMOUTH - 3
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2015, 21:15
Rivet Joint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shamrock7seal: Hit the nail on the head. At best BOH can serve the bucket and spade market through the summer. Basically serving all the people who retire there and want to burn themselves half to death in the costa del sol or the canaries. You only have to look at Palmair to see why the grey pound is the only market in BOH.

Basically you can debate the viability of BOH as an airport to you are blue in the face but there is a large elephant in the room that everyone forgets. Not enough people want or have the need to to fly from BOH and therefore it is not needed. This will never change, no matter how much the transport infrastructure increases. Everyone I have met who has flown from BOH chose to purely because it was dirt cheap. Good for them but it's not making the airport or the airline any money. If we take the south outside London there is NQY, EXT, BOH, SOU and MSE. For me only 2 of those are needed and its EXT and SOU. The rest are arguable tumours that undermine the two better placed airports in my opinion. It sounds extreme but maybe aerodrome licenses need to be restricted to one per region. It's an extreme idea granted, but oversupply of regional airports is just daft.