PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The new law on "ageism" - where does it leave pilots and crew who want to carry on!?
Old 5th Jul 2003, 09:05
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe in many cases, at least to this point in time, pilot Union Contracts have prevailed in the establishment of a mandatory retirement age.

These unions fostered the idea of retirement at age 55/60/65 early on by writing that number into their contracts in a day and age vastly different from today. At a time when women on the flight deck would merely serve tea and leave. Not so nowadays my friend.
Pilots believed 'there came a time' when it was time to get out and that number seemed to fit rather nicely back then. Pilots bought it, companies bought it and so it went. Here we are today. Not only in conflict with ourselves but also with our past, our civil laws and our civil liberites. How things have changed? It's incredible.

Who's right?

What's right?

I'm not certain the Airlines and pilot unions generally (worldwide) have it right as far as retirement age goes, anyway? Certainly not in this day and age. After all, the reality is, we're living longer, we're in better health much longer in life and able to contribute longer. So why not stay on??? At least, let's make it more of a mutual decision but within reason.
The way this industry is going who in their right minds would wish to continue flying much beyond 60 anyway?

Some out there may have enjoyed a stable and successful flying career with an established carrier that has maintained reasonable financial health over the past 30-40 years. Others haven't been so fortunate and as a result might well wish to provide a better retirement for themselves by staying beyond age 55 or 60. Let's not forget that in the 60s and 70s the term Low Cost Carrier wasn't heard. Nor did there exist the number of IT carriers to the extent they do today. I see them popping up left, right, and centre these days and failing at a similar rate. So, why not let a bloke continue to fly for as long as he's able to maintain 'the standards' across the board??

I used to be a 24 year old CPL wishing the old fellas into retirement so I could have my crack at it. However, today at age 52....I've 'ad enuff Mate! Can't pack it in soon enuff!!!

AT some point though, surely to goodness, retirement MUST be mandatory.