PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paris Attacked!
Thread: Paris Attacked!
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2015, 20:02
Lonewolf_50

Received 412 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by Hangarshuffle
David Cameron: I will push ahead with Syrian air strikes - Telegraph

* RAF historians lurking here, out of interest to me alone can anyone point to me when an air attack, an air raid has made a profound input/difference to a war or battle. Real strategic impact. As PM Dave C. seems to be weighing up here?
The USAF sometimes claimed to have won the war over Serbia in 70 days of bombing.
Air attacks in the six weeks leading up to Desert Storm going live in the ground op set up the battle field pretty well. Not sure if that is what you were looking for.
How many raids are you looking for as a criterion?
The Apache and SEAD/Wild Weasel ops before Desert Storm opened the door for that air campaign.
Taranto: significant impact on the freedom of the seas for Royal Navy in the Med.
Pearl Harbor: significant impact on US strategy in Pacific, which had knock on effect strategically on how much aid/materiel could be sent to Europe in the infamous "Europe First" decision. (You'll want to read up on Admiral King, USN, and his sometimes contentious relationship with the opposite numbers among the Brits on the combined staff ...)

Also, just because ISIS/Daesh will strike back is no reason not to strike. For the UK, are the reasons to date sufficient? Not sure, not my country, and out of my lane.