Thread: R44 Cadet
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2015, 20:00
CRAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R22

Henri,

Fair point.

My first experience of flight in a helicopter as a boy was in the R22, my first 30min trial lesson at Tiger helicopters was in an R22 and I learned to fly in an R22. I have a soft spot for the R22...

However, it's MGW is simply too low. The fact is whenever or whatever (other than cattle mustering solo) you do in a R22 you will be at MGW. At MGW it has a modest power to weight ratio and is too slow in all conditions. You can't put two normal people in an r22, fill the tanks and go somewhere with a suitcase. Therefore as a personal helicopter it fails the basic functionality test. To make matters worse, these days it is ridiculously expensive to purchase and overhaul.

My view is that a 2-seat personal helicopter/ ab-initial trainer needs to be 750kg, with 300kg useful load and sold for no more than £135K ($200k).

Power that with the Lycoming IO-390 (210hp), derated to 172hp with some sensible aerodynamics and you'll have a machine that will lift vertically at 500ft/min at MGW up to around 5000ft, cruise at 100kts+ and carry two 90kg people 3hrs of fuel and a 20kg suitcase. That's an entry-level personal helicopter.

Make it pretty and you would sell 200-400 machines a year.

This would be a better alternative to the R44 cadet, but its a lot more hassle than a 'reduced margin' R44.

Perhaps I'll just build one for myself and stick some Garmin glass in it while I'm at it!

All the best,
CRAN