PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Corbin and CDS Squaring-Up
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2015, 14:27
Easy Street

Received 78 Likes on 35 Posts
NutLoose,

I think you need to clarify your post. Are you suggesting that Kevan Jones or Ken Livingstone is really 'a person you want deciding Military policies'?

Kevan Jones was Veterans' Minister in the MoD during the Brown government and had been on the Defence Select Committee before that. As I recall, he was a knowledgeable and thoughtful individual and did "fit right in" as you suggestively put it. I don't see why having had a past depressive episode should cast any doubt on his ability to fulfil that role. I think it is probably desirable that ministers bring a range of different life experiences into government. In any case, I suspect a great many more servicemen (senior decision-makers included) have suffered mental illnesses than any statistics could reveal, for the very reason that Mr Jones stated in the house - they don't talk about it.

Now, if you are saying that Ken is unfit to be involved in military policy-making, I would tend to agree - not because of his left-wing views, which he is entitled to hold and apply to policy, but because of his long history of association with and support for individuals and movements antithetical to our national interest. Of course that can't stop Corbyn appointing him - but it should stop anyone taking the results of their policy commission seriously. Does anyone think that Ken might have a "lightbulb moment" and suddenly sign up to Trident renewal? No, I didn't think so.