PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 Cadet
Thread: R44 Cadet
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2015, 14:22
CRAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Positioning

I think it is because they believe or are targeting a different kind on person to buy a Cadet over a Raven 1.

Therefore, in order to justify the existing price of the R44 Raven they need a tangible reduction in 'value' to justify the lower price of the new machine. i.e. less seats, less power, less MTOW...less of a machine. That way those that have been happily paying the premium to buy an entry-level 4-seat personal helicopter or light commercial helicopter can keep paying it, whereas flight schools and typical 'R22' private owners can have a cadet at a justifiably lower price (and lower margin for Robinson)...but production volumes and efficiencies go up.

Of course one problem that the R44 will faces as a training helicopter outside of the US is the addition fuel price. £60/hr (90USD) in an R22, but £100/hr (150USD) for a typical R44. Though this is not really a significant issue for private owners.

I agree with GS, if they hit the R22 price and can offer R22 level pricing for the overhaul (and 12-year inspection for those that don't fly off the hours), I would buy one tomorrow.

CRAN