PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paris Attacked!
Thread: Paris Attacked!
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2015, 13:43
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,693 Likes on 778 Posts
As L50 says, they are Dan Hodges words, not mine. But on the subject and the question...

In 2013, when Assad was using chemical weapons against his own people, and there was an international push for no-fly zones and air strikes to stop him, I was in favour. In the current situation with the Russians, USA and others attacking various factions, and having already lost the vote in 2013 parliament against further action*, I could see little point in him pressing the point again.

However, if he truly considers it necessary to prevent a direct threat to the UK then, then as Hodges states, he has no option but to act. Further, since France has invoked the Lisbon Treaty asking for support, and are considering invoking NATO article 5, he has a moral and legal basis to do so.

The current position of offering to send a RN destroyer to provide AD cover to the Charles de Gaulle, against an enemy without an offensive air capability, is a craven token gesture to save face whilst proving no real support.

*Note that both Tories and Labour put forward motions to do something about Assad, it was a political battle, not an ethical - and most Labour supporters were as embarrassed at Cameron afterwards, and shocked he just walked away.

The Vote of Shame

Last edited by ORAC; 18th Nov 2015 at 14:10.