PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unexpected Medical Discharge - what should I look out for
Old 18th Nov 2015, 12:36
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the advice and anecdotes

For some reason I can't open PMs on my phone, but will tackle these later. Sadly I'm not in receipt of flying pay, but at least that's not something I'll lose. Luckily I'm on AFPS 75. We've overseas in 4 separate locations on and off since 2001 (yes, livin' the dream) so my knowledge of what happens these days is a little dated. But I understand that the process takes some time and for once I'll put me and my family first. And use this time - using ELCs, resettlement etc. We have a nice house (though rented out until end of 2016), and the pension is pretty good.

But I do feel (already) the impending departure from a fantastic job (and with some, ahem, linguistic skills) and from the Service with trepedation. Settling down in a small village where front page news is the ongoing argument about council funding of hanging baskets will take some adjustment, as well as not being the 'go to' man in my locus. It has just occured to me I have almost no friends outside the Service (apart from former colleagues).

Apparently RAFBF can help with school fees etc, so that's a relief. Perhaps I've been a bit dramatic, but having confront mortality isn't ever going to be easy.