PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Naughty, naughty! Helicopter pilot's bridge stunt
Old 5th Jul 2003, 06:02
3top

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Kos:

If you refer to quotes in my replies, please extend them enough to keep things straight. I believe I wrote " it SEEMS" the CAA, etc.
The way I read it in your post it is a factual statement, which it was not...

About the Bridge pilots judment: I would say his judgement is pretty well on from a flying skill point of view (maybe even twice!) as he made it unscattered through it.
No question, he was completely off by ANY other standard:
Bad publicity for GA generally.
Bad example for other pilots.
Breaching a restricted area except for an emergency is not considered good airmanship either.

But as mentioned various times in this thread, even pilots whom one would like to consider being professional to the core strike a stupid string at times.
The EMS pilot in Germany - the Army pilots in GB chopping trees mentioned in this thread. I guess there are plenty of unknown cases, that just got away...

Obviously there is something to learn FOR INSTRUCTORS here too. They are the first ones to instill certain behavior when it comes to flying. One way would be to show a Student (at some advanced level) how to enjoy some of the fun without endangering others, himself or braking rules. Lowflying is fun, but do it ONLY where it is safe.
This way the urge to do seemingly fun stuff does not automatically lead to illegal and/or dangerous and stupid behavior.

Unfortunately Bridges seem to have a pull that certain people cannot resist...

3top

Just read the report about the spanish guys.

I am really surprised on the CAA stand on this!! Does not reflect the general opinion about them at all!

I guess I owe them a big apology!!

However if this keeps on going, I guess the CAA has no joice than to act and set an example!

3top