PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON History and Nostalgia
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2015, 06:31
boeing_eng

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which were then all sold on to Ryanair who didn't seem to have any difficulty with the costs or reliability of running them for on high-utilisation 10-sectors a day type operations that the aircraft had never seen before in its life (far more so than Britannia's two round trips to the Med a day and leisurely turnrounds). The last Britannia 737-200 of all, for example, carried on for 10 years afterwards with Ryanair.

Well, what do I know??!...ah yes!....I worked on them for many years Following, the Aloha incident, the Boeing ageing fleet program was introduced. Some of the earlier aircraft in the fleet were basically re-built with multiple skin changes and other major structural work during increasingly prolonged maintenance checks.

The decision by Thomson/BAL to withdraw the 737-200 released some very well maintained aircraft onto the second hand market and I'm sure RYR didn't object to the high standards of BAL maintenance! In fact, its a testament to how long the aircraft continued to operate as you kindly illustrate!

I can also assure you that for many years in the peak season the BAL 737-200's were doing more than two round trips to Med destinations per day with night-flying common!

Last edited by boeing_eng; 18th Nov 2015 at 07:06.