PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Metrojet crash Eygpt
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2015, 05:32
PAX_Britannica

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AreOut
I don't understand... US intel was IIRC first to suggest it was a bomb and now this?

US Department of State spokesperson Eric Toner said the United States has not accepted the Russian government’s conclusion that the Metrojet crash in the Sinai Peninsula was a terrorist act and has yet to make its own conclusion.

Read more: US Govt Refuses to Accept Russian Assessment A321 Crash Was Act of Terror
The headline is somewhat contradicted by the body of the article.
Originally Posted by Mark C Toner, Deputy Spokesperson, US State Department
We are aware of those reports that Russia has made – Russian Government has made about the cause of the crash of Metrojet flight 9268. In our view, this is an Egyptian-led investigation, and we have not made our own determination about the cause of this incident, nor do I believe has the Egyptian Government. However, we cannot rule out – and we’ve said this before – we cannot rule out at this stage, and must consider the possibility that this crash could have been caused by terrorism and by an explosion onboard. And we’ve said that for a matter of weeks now, but we still have not made a final determination. And again, this is an Egyptian-led investigation into this crash.
Which seems a sensible and measured response, to me.
The text of the briefing is here. Search for "9268" to find the relevant part.

Further brief discussion with US Secretary of State John Kerry here.

I'm not aware of any detailed and substantial account of evidence found by Russia-based investigators.

Maybe time to shut this thread down until there's an interim report ?