PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight deck positions at FlyDubai Master Thread - Merged
Old 17th Nov 2015, 19:09
Commuter0815

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you to both about replying.

Well, i worked for QR for over 2 years(was DEC there) till I decided Qatar(the airline + country) is nothing for me or my family.

However, I do fly regulary into DXB and there is a clear difference between this 2 countries(probably you have to be in QR first to see a difference here) and for sure between the 2 airlines - point.

I fly now in Europe which is quiet all right but nothing special as the salaries and the state deductions(let's call it tax and social contribution, shall we ) are extremely high without getting EVER anything comparable in value returned. Well, that's the price of "social states" and I am comfortable with that.
BUT - neither one of the famous 2 buckets of the ME are ever getting full, working down here gives at least the chance to make some good money and still paying your social security back home so you get something(not much) upon retirement.

Going back to a lowcost in Europe (or the states) still has the risk that your small base might be shut down from 1 day to another and then the commuting(yep, from there it comes) starts all over again.

As for the mainlines - you will be stuck there as FO till retirement, most likely.

Corporate - did that, doing it right now as well. It is ok, but again, commuting wears you out over the years. No driver that brings you from home to work and back all the time.

Again - I have seen some of the much more ugly sides of the middle east operation(I am sure much worse then EK or EZ can ever be) and I am glad that I made my move out of there back in the days. BUT the grass is not greener(ok, well it is , I like European vegetation and riding a bicycle with my kids in the woods) workwise on the other side.
Sure, there are work laws, some kind of union(not in most european countries) but still ways that ANY managment tries to put pressure on you to do THAT flight.
And I have worked once in the LH group and had to discuss with the FOM why they could not send me on my last day of Stby on a 3 day rotation killing all my off days.

Fact is, the pilot job became a ugly one, best if someone is able to squeeze as much money as possible out of it and make it into retirement.

Well, thanks again, I was really wondering where a EK/EZ pilot would go and believe it is the better job.

I understand the family issue and most likely on some stage this becomes the most important issue for a pilot. I was lucky till now and always managed to have my family with me so that was never a really big concern.