PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ken Bradley
Thread: Ken Bradley
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2015, 03:00
Phil Kemp

Location: Sussex, New Brunswick. Formerly Bowen Island B.C. Canada - one of the greatest places to live on Earth...
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Ken Bradley

This morning I received the sad news from Ken's son Jerry, that he passed away yesterday, aged 89.

Ken was one of those Bristow stalwarts that had been everywhere, done everything and was always ready for whatever great plan or adventure came next - the very foundation of the early days and future success of Bristow Helicopters. He held a variety of senior positions within the company, but always remained a very modest, unassuming and real person.

He worked back in the Fison and Air Whaling days and had flown just about every kind of application you could use a helicopter in, during it's evolutionary days. He had also flown everything from Hillers to S61's and anything that Bristow had operated in between. Ken was extremely humourous and easy going, and tucked away in his little office up by the ground school, his secretary would always be explaining that Ken was unavailable because he was attending a meeting - possibly the 2:30 at Lingfield...

I first met Ken during the Pilots strike when this rather strange and eccentric pilot showed up to fly the S61 in Sumburgh. He brought his wife Joan with him, and immediately fell into the social scene of Sumburgh and the great crew we had working there, during a very interesting time. This started a life long friendship for me, from a true gentleman and his family who extended great generosity and friendship to me when I left Shetland to go to Redhill as an apprentice - as far as even lending me his brand new car when I first arrived!

Sadly, Joan passed away a few years ago, and I know that would have been a very difficult transition, as they were very close and shared a very similar sense of humour and reality - which often left me thinking, how did we get onto this subject and at this level of detail. This often occurred after a quick Sunday lunchtime pint (or two) at the Station in South Nutfield, before Sunday lunch.

Ken had a great variety of highly unlikely (and absolutely true) stories from days long past, but involving people I knew well and worked with at Bristow - which I thought was quite amazing the close relationships (and with entire families) back in those early days of the company. Now much later in my life, I completely understand the strength and value of those same relationships which last forever.

My thoughts are with Jerry, Judy and Jane and their families. I am very proud and honoured to have had the great experience and memories of having Ken and Joan as friends.

R.I.P, Ken.

Last edited by Phil Kemp; 22nd Nov 2015 at 01:29. Reason: Never try to trust your distant memory of people's names - sorry Sarah... :)